One of the most challenging projects I faced at work recently was to create a Apache SOLR index consisting of approx 15 million records. This index had been created once in the history of the company using a MySQL database and SOLR’s Data Import Handler (DIH). It had not been attempted since then because the original indexing process was time consuming (12-14 hours), required human supervision, and on failure had to be restarted from the very beginning.
I was the first one at work to get an Android phone. As word got around I have become the guy to go to when it comes to Android. I get asked questions about Android before they buy. I also get questions about Android after they’ve bought their new phone. One thing that people seem to appreciate is when I provide them with a list of apps to get them started.
Without further ado, here is a list of most of the apps I have on my phone. I’ve not included some of the apps (e.g., OEM pre-installed crap).
First I read the wiki entry http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Full_Update_Guide_-_Motorola_Droid As I was reading I noticed that there were no directions for OSX; only for Windows and Linux. It turns out that the flash recovery tools are not available for OSX. That means that I would have to do this from a virtual machine.
In the Google group Android Beginners I frequently see messages that ask what the error "r cannot be resolved" means in Eclipse.
Eclipse generates the file
R.java for you using the aapt tool (Official Guide to the Android Asset Packaging Tool).
R.java contains a mapping to all the resources your application will use. Note that you should have the
Build Automatically option under the
Project menu checked on.
I’ve wanted an iPhone for at least a year. Six to eight months ago I decided I was going to make the switch from Verizon to AT&T – just for the iPhone. Our Verizon contract expires next month. Now that December 8th is almost here I have begun counting the days. How exciting it will be to walk into the AT&T store and pick up my new iPhone.
I appreciate the quality of Apple products. From the beauty and elegance of the design to the simplicity of the user interface. It is obvious that they put great thought into the product as a whole. I wouldn’t call myself a “fanboy” but I’m pretty close. This is why it has come as a surprise that I have decided to go with the new Droid that Verizon just made available (http://phones.verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid/).
Setting up multiple cores in SOLR can seem like a daunting task but is pretty simple. You’ll need to create a
solr.xml file, create a directory to contain the core specific infomration, and modify some configuration files.
I found this really cool plug in for Firefox called Ubiquity. It was created in the Mozilla Labs. You can see a video demo (vimeo) here. I might be writing more of these so I created a new Ubiquity page. Check it out.